Fort Gordon has a rich history of change and innovation leading up to its 80th anniversary in 2021. Founded as Camp Gordon in 1940, the base made major contributions to World War II and the Korean War. Renamed Fort Gordon in 1956, the base became known for Signal training and provided basic training and officer candidate school during the Vietnam era. The early 90s saw significant changes to the Army and Fort Gordon; the Army moved a military intelligence brigade to FGGA, and NSA established a significant presence in Georgia initiating a 30-year wave of growth, culminating in the 2013 announcement of ARCYBER’s relocation, completed in 2021.
With almost 40 percent of Soldiers and Civilians dedicated to 24/7 operations and $2B for modernization, to include $.9B for six MILCON projects, seven restoration and modernization projects and 11 demolition projects we are taking Cyber and Signal training into the future. With its 32,000 workers, Fort Gordon has long ceased to be known as just a school house installation.
Named for former Georgia Governor, Senator, and Confederate General John B. Gordon, Fort Gordon is one of several bases named for confederate leaders scheduled for renaming. Congress’ Naming Commission owes a recommended name in October 2022.
With the threat of war looming in mid-1940, US Army officials began identifying sites suitable for division level training. By 1941, a decision was made to acquire such an area near Augusta, Georgia and the War Department established a $22 million contract to construct a new installation.
During WWII the 56,000-acre training site was temporary home to three divisions; the 4th Infantry Division, the 26th Infantry Division, and the 10th Armored Division until their deployment to the European theater, where they all served with distinction. Additional emphasis on military preparedness during the Cold War brought new life to Camp Gordon, which was scheduled for inactivation following WWII.. In 1948, the Military Police School moved to Camp Gordon and, the Signal Corps Training Center was activated.
In 1950 the demand for signalmen in the Korean War led to a major expansion of the Signal Corps Training Center, making it the largest single source of Army communications specialists. Camp Gordon was re-designated Fort Gordon and made a permanent installation in 1956. The US involvement in Southeast Asia in the 1960s and 1970s, together with the advances in communications-electronics technology, placed heavy training demands on Fort Gordon. At the height of the Vietnam War, the renamed Southeastern Signal School (SESS) was the primary source of communications personnel for tactical units in Vietnam. The SESS activated the Signal Officer Candidate School 1965-1968 (OCS), commissioning more than 2,000 officers.
Post-Vietnam found the Army revising training, doctrine, and organizations to keep pace with advances on the modem battlefield. This period of reorganization resulted in consolidation of all signal training at Fort Gordon in 1974. On 1 October 1974 the base was re-designated the US Army Signal Center and Fort Gordon. The 1980s represented a transitional phase for the Army impacting heavily on the Signal Center. The Signal Center’s efforts included the development of Mobile Subscriber Equipment, the Army’s communications architecture and assuming proponency for the Army’s Information Mission Area. This integration of automation, communications, visual information, records management, and publications and printing, resulted in the US Army Signal Corp Regiment establishment in 1986 and Fort Gordon designated as the regimental home base.
In 1990-1991, the Signal Center played a vital role in preparing Soldiers for deployment during Desert Shield/Desert Storm. Fort Gordon became home for training most of the satellite operators and maintainers within DOD and continued to train signal troops of allied and foreign countries. Fort Gordon also welcomed the 513th Military Intelligence Brigade in 1993 and NSA Georgia in 1996. After 9/11, Fort Gordon units were instrumental in providing communications, intelligence, and medical capabilities for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. In 2007, both the 35th Signal Brigade and the 7th Signal Command (Theater) we reflagged at Fort Gordon.
In December 2013, the Army announced Army Cyber Command would move to Fort Gordon at a future date, and in March 2014, the base transitioned to the Cyber Center of Excellence (CCoE). This new CCoE would oversee the Signal School and the new Cyber School, which opened its doors in August 2014.
Besides providing training for both the Signal and Cyber Corps, Fort Gordon serves as a power projection base for several Army Signal, Cyber, and Intelligence units. Fort Gordon is also home to joint partners from all the Armed Services who provide intelligence, cyber, communications, and cryptologic support for operations spanning the globe.